List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible cause of kivio problems
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-05-01 16:32:51

On Tuesday 01 May 2001 18:03, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> I'd disagree. built errors are usually only typos somewhere and usually
> don't require more than a few minutes of looking into the makefiles. and if
> there is no obvious fix visible, you revert the last commit locally and
> tell the one to blame to fix his commits. those who "spent hours for such
> breakages" should spent their time on reading the CVS documentation
> instead.

I really doubt the average developer is able to look through an
automake-generated Makefile and find an error in "a matter of minutes". Add
the rebuild compilation time and you're already talking hours. And asking the
one to blame to fix his commits won't work either, because by the time you
trace the problem back to him, he might be asleep, or gone on vacation.

> > Which woudln't have happened if the move was discussed first.
>
> I agree. a bit of communication would have been better. Lets agree on this
> and move on and stop this nonsense discussion!

It's not nonsense, these kind of problems are normal and expected, and should
be dealt with. Every big development project suffers them. Hiding our heads
in the sand because we're all volunteers working on free software won't help
it.

> /me wonders though why the kivio developers are not subscribed to the
> koffice-devel mailinglist though.

If they aren't then that is clearly a mistake on their part, yes.

> > Come on. All I'm saying is, people should be a bit more careful with
> > Shawn's apps, that's all.
>
> And all what the others say is that when you can't stand the Bazaar, you
> should go back hiding in the cathedral.

Come on :-). No successful project has people committing at random all over
the place without some sort of discipline and cautiousness. I've always been
amazed by how well KDE is doing on that side, and how few of these problems
there was.

> By the inclusion of kivio in koffice not only the koffice team has to
> accept the kivio team's rules, but also vice versa.

I agree, but I don't suppose koffice team's rules include modifiying a build
without asking the apps maintainer first.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org