List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDEDB (Re: Oracle support in kdedb)
From:       Alessandro Praduroux <pradu () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-03-29 19:37:52

On Thursday 29 March 2001 17:14, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 March 2001 23:49, Dan Williams wrote:
> > I was just starting to look at doing a DB/2 module myself.  I have it
> > installed on my system.
> >
> > I agree that having support for DB/2 & Oracle would be a big plus.
> >
> > On Wednesday 28 March 2001 08:15 am, Shawn Gordon wrote:
> > > If anyone is interested, a DB2 module would also be very cool.  I've
> > > got a copy of DB2 here, but we haven't had a chance to do anything.  I
> > > think having 2 or 3 of these high end commercial databases accessible
> > > via konqueror and KDE-DB would be totally cool.
>
> Hmm, I think that before anyone spends too much time writing
> kdedb plugins, it would be a good idea to reach a decision about kdedb.
>
> This discussion has started privately, but should rather be held here IMHO.
>
> On one hand, Qt 3 is arriving with DB support.
> On the other hand, we have kdedb now, but the author (Alessandro),
> and theKompany in general, seem to indicate that they don't intend
> to maintain it in the future.

That's not completely true. ATM I have little time to do it, but I don't want
to drop it at all.
The question then should be the following:
will the forthcoming qt3 database library cover all the needs we have? Maybe
we can drop the library, but what about the ioslave and the kcontrol modules?
they can (and will, if we choose to rely on qt3 sql access) be ported to the
new architecture.

Can someone knowing what qt3 db library will look like tell us something
about it?

--
Pradu