List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: KDEDB (Re: Oracle support in kdedb)
From:       Mike Richardson <mike () quaking ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-29 20:43:47

On Thursday 29 March 2001 20:18, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > Maybe someone pay a visit to TT with a few big blokes with those spikey
> > baseball bats and extract some information :-)
>
> There are qt3 snapshots on ftp.trolltech.com as well as on
> rsync.trolltech.com::qt .

Ah. Thanx. I hadn't realised that. I'll just rely on politely asking their
FTP server then.

> > Secondly, there is the issue of the higher level interface, meaning stuff
> > like setting up and storing database configurations (eg, name X maps to
> > server S, user U, password P, etc). My guess would be that TT aren't so
> > likely to do so much here, and anyway, you'd want to make the dialogs and
> > such KDE compatible.
>
> The qt stuff goes quite far. They have a brilliant qt designer integration
> including widgets for graphical browsing/editing!
>
> > So I think that KDE-DB isn't going to go away, though the extact plugins
> > might change a lot.
>
> It sounds wrong to me to provide two different database access technologies
> to the developers (it's just confusing) . I'm favour of the Qt one.
> (even if the price is to wait a bit until Qt3 arrives)
>
> (that being just my personal humble opinion :)

And Pradu wrote

> The question then should be the following:
> will the forthcoming qt3 database library cover all the needs we have?
> Maybe we can drop the library, but what about the ioslave and the kcontrol
> modules?  they can (and will, if we choose to rely on qt3 sql access) be
> ported to the new architecture.

That was what I meant. If they provide the interface layer (connections,
recordsets, that sort of stuff) then well and good, but i'd imagine we still
need KDE specific stuff for kcontrol and ioslave, even if only to get a
consistent KDE look'n'feel

> Bye,
>  Simon

Mike