List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: ACLs in KDE CVS
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-28 8:20:55

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Hans Meine wrote:
> > > To be clear: when I enable ACLs for the www module, if you aren't on
> > > the list then you won't be able to commit any changes!
> >
> > Hmm, I always found it to be nice to be able to correct speling errros
> > or bad links right away when I found them. Why do you think it is
> > neccessary to have more tight access rights to the www module than to
> > kdelibs? Just wondering..
>
> Good question and it's one that I forgot to address in my earlier
> email.
>
> We've treated the www module like any other module so far because it
> seems at first glance that it behaves similarly.  After all, the HTML
> is just code and we want *all* code in KDE to be available to
> everybody.  If anybody makes a bad change (or worse, a destructive
> change) to a KDE module, it can be reverted before any harm is done.
>
> But that's not true in the case of the www module.  The website
> updates every 30 minutes (or so.. I don't remember anymore).  So say
> somebody wants to make a destructive change to the KDE website (this
> is all the more possible now that everything is PHP).  They could do
> so and have it distributed worldwide instantly with no peer review.
> That's the difference between, say, kdelibs and www.  *All* changes to
> kdelibs are "reviewed" before they are releases whereas it's very
> possible to make changes to www that are released before they are
> reviewed.
>
> So we want to limit the scope of how we can get burned.  By putting an
> ACL on www and restricting it only to certain people, we lower the
> risk of getting screwed.
>
> This *will* make (mostly) my job a bit harder since the little changes
> will have to go through webmaster@kde.org.. but I think it's necessary
> in the end.

But cvs commit became almost unbearable slower. The snapshot generation
takes now 5 hours longer since your ACL change. It commits each .desktop
file and each .po file one by one to reduce locks and conflicts. But as
every commit takes now quite some time (check it yourself, commit some
small files, one by one)

Greetings, Stephan

--
Teigwaren heissen Teigwaren, weil sie Teig waren * J. v. d. Lippe
MFCH