List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: ACLs in KDE CVS
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () suse ! com>
Date:       2001-03-28 20:33:08

Stephan Kulow wrote:
> But cvs commit became almost unbearable slower. The snapshot generation
> takes now 5 hours longer since your ACL change. It commits each .desktop
> file and each .po file one by one to reduce locks and conflicts. But as
> every commit takes now quite some time (check it yourself, commit some
> small files, one by one)

I can't reproduce this in local tests.  I setup a local CVS repository
and created a module with 500 files.  I wanted the repo local so as to
negate any network variances.

What I found was that using the cvs_acls.pl script makes *almost* no
difference in the time it takes to commit.

I first did a 'cvs commit -m ""' both with and without ACLs.  Both
took 1.5 seconds to commit the 500 changed files.

I then did this:
find -type f -maxdepth 1 -exec cvs commit -m "" {} \;

This took significantly longer.  With ACLs (several tries with various
complex rules), it took 8min35sec +/- 2 sec.  Without ACLs, it took
8min30sec +- 2 sec

That means that it took roughly 1.03 seconds to commit a single file
with the ACL script and 1.02 seconds without.

Are you sure that this isn't a network related issue?
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop