List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Can we drop KWrite ?
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-12 21:11:48

> I thought we were anti-MDI, but it seems that kant appeared in kdebase
> while I (and presumably the kde-look people) weren't looking.

Well the "problem" is that a pure SDI-solution isn't the solution to
all problems. This has already become obvious way before
kant appeared in cvs. konsole, konqueror, kspread, and ksirc already
have mdi-features. An irc-client with SDI is the best example where
almost anyone I met agreed that SDI doesn't cut it.
Simply get used to it: forcing the user to use SDI or MDI only just because
one thinks that either of them isn't good for him doesn't help anybody.

> Why should kwrite be dropped ? Are you its maintainer ?

Well how many texteditors do you want to see in KDE? 3, 4 or 6?
Just because they are different in using a different
knowledge-level or MDI, SDI .... ?
Besides that: the original author hasn't maintained kwrite for months ...
unlike Christoph Cullman ....

Greetings,
Tackat