List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-12 20:52:39

On Monday 12 March 2001 11:19, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Obviously having a widget or at least a consistent mechanism which offers
> to switch between:
>
> - SDI
> - toplevel MDI
> - tabbed MDI
> - Emacsstyle MDI

I think SDI is still the preffered way. Toplevel MDI is broken by design IMO.
Certain applications may benefit from tabbed or emacsstyle MDI though. I
guess you could add some support for tabbed and emacsstyle MDI.

Such an MDI solution should also provide some menu support then.

One of the things that I don't like about MDI is that you need a whole bunch
of menu-actions for managing your windows. Look how many stuff konqueror has
for this.

With a more general MDI solution, applications should default to SDI with an
configration option to enable MDI mode. That way the application can dump a
bunch of its menu-entries when running SDI, making it less heavy handed and
overwhelming for new users.

Cheers,
Waldo
--