List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Koffice translations
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-09-28 13:32:50

Mit, 27 Sep 2000 wrote Dirk Mueller:
> On Mit, 27 Sep 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
>
> > I'm very disappointed with the lack of communication within this project.
> >

> while we're at it.. I heard that the "ksnapshot" program has been changed
> significantly in its GUI behaviour lately. coolo, Matthias Ettrich: please
> include the "GUI" keyword in the commit messages so that the documentation
> writers have a chance to catch up! They were very unhappy about your
> uncommunicative behaviour... especially as you also touched quite
> a few i18n strings!

This is getting truely annoying. As if it wasn't enough to get bashed from
console-lovers for writing GUI programs, now even fellow programmers blame you
for actually wasting your time and writing free code. Can we please get down to
earth again?! The idea to ship a .0 version AT THE SAME TIME with complete
translations and documentation is very ambibious, this is why nobody else is
doing it. We try to do our best to help, but if it compromises code quality,
I'm not willing to do it.

Some facts:

- the GUI keyword thing was invented AFTER my commit, at least I read the mail
    afterwards

- I immediately talked to Eric and other documentors about the change when
   the commit was done. The english documentation got rewritten a few minutes
   later.

- The i18n strings were taken directly from the code of the old ksnapshot
program, if I missed a character, that's bad, but easily fixable.  What were
the "quite a few i18n strings" you were talking about?!

- The previous ksnapshot program was - excuse the hard words - a shame for
KDE2. My commit message mentioned the 8 most severe problems, every single one
being a showstsopper. I had to chose between a) removing the app or b) fixing
it while keeping the translation.

Sorry that I've chosen the solution that was bad for my mood and my time but
good for KDE users.

Matthias
 ... pissed.