List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Reality check :-)
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-06-05 0:52:04

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 08:14:51PM -0400, tibirna@kde.org wrote:

Hiya,

> Hehe, I said it's unmaintained a bit hastily. Because a) I didn't remember
> any CVS log about it in the last few months; b) I tested it before sending

I didn't see much need to :)

> my mail and it popped some "residual" menu before docking in the

Ah yeah, that popup on start, I remember. This "bug" is there for quite
some time (years?), because I didn't find a nice way to circumvent
this. Will have another look at it.

> kicker. Also, the config dialog layout isn't right. But I understand

You mean it's too big? That's because of the sizeHint() of the listview,
it seems to calculate all necessary space for items, even if they are not
visible yet (i.e. hidden in a branch). I thought about adding something
like
maxsize = 2/3 * desktopsize;
if sizeHint > maxsize then resize( maxsize ) or something like that. Or
do you mean something different?

> Feature requests:
> a) make it into a general API or maybe an action to plug in applications
> (I know that the current dock icon provides transparent "support" to all
> apps, it's just that I believe users will difficulty realise this. Am I
> right?)

So that it is available in a toolbar for example, maybe even in the
default XMLGUI? IMHO we should rather teach users about that klipper icon
in kicker, than putting it everywhere else, but maybe that's just me!?

> b) detect duplicated items

It should do that (and did a while ago), maybe that's broken -- will have
a look.

> c) add automatic support for the already defined mimetypes

Ahh, nice idea!

> d) enhance the support for "clipboardable" data to the full X capacities
> (DISCLAIMER: I didn't investigate at all on this, but I seem to remember
> that X clipboard mechanism isn't limited to text)

Uhm, that would be hard to show in a popupmenu, then... if someone
can give me a pointer, I will have a look at the possibility (maybe show
"XX Data" in the menu).

> Cut/Copy/Paste is an important function of a desktop envir, much more
> important than the too highly praised DnD. Good suport for CCP will gain
> an excellent point to KDE.

Yes, I totally agree.

Best wishes,
Carsten Pfeiffer