List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Decision Making (was Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default)
From:       Don Sanders <dsanders () cch ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-04-28 1:23:52

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> We had the capability in KDE 1.x and now in 2.0 to have a MacOS-like
> menubar on the top of the screen.  I propose that we make this the
> *default* menubar state in KDE 2.0.

I do not wish to comment directly on this issue. However I would like to point
out that I believe a more structured process for deciding on controversial
issues (such as this one) would be beneficial to KDE.

Often ideas are suggested and if those ideas are supported by a clear majority
then they can be discussed productively and implemented. But in the case where
an idea is not supported by a clear majority an often unproductive dispute
arises which can have detrimental side effects (remember the discussion about
the leafy background?)

Basically I think controversial issues should be open for discussion for a
period of time and then decided on by vote.

A simple example of such a system would be
http://jakarta.apache.org/guidelines/decisions.html

(This system with its single veto vote rule is probably overly simplistic for
our needs).

I am not suggesting an immediate course of action, I just want to make sure
that people are aware of their options.

BFN,
Don.