List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: User installed apps, Was: kded excluding dirs?
From:       "David Faure" <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-02 11:28:39

> Hi,
>
> lets try again:
>
> At university our students can not install apps since they are not
> root. So they can install only in their home directories.
> People reported to me that they can not install the RPM
> packages in their home dirs. Is there any way?
For relocatable RPMS, yes.
--relocate, IIRC, but others will know more.
For other RPMS you can still hack with --badreloc and other stuff.

> And further more: Can we set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to contain
> $HOME/.kde/libs ? Distributors should in addition
> add $HOME/.kde/bin to $PATH, or we do that in startkde.
This is all distributors' issue I think.
In fact if anybody knows how to install libs in $HOME/.kde/libs,
he'll know how to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well.
I don't think we should do anything here - most people won't have
anything in ~/.kde/{bin|lib}, so why clutter their $PATH and
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

OTOH somebody could set up a web page to explain how to install
KDE in a user's account, with the various package-types available
(rpm/deb/pkg...)

> And (related to ksycoca) if two services of the same name and the
> same servicetype exists. One of the user and one in the global
> environment. In this case it would IMHO be a good idea to perfer
> the service the user has installed himself. How does KSyCoCa handle
> this ?
Parses user's dirs first, and skips everything that exists globally
and that has already been created.

BTW, this is not a new issue. global/local distinction has existed
for two years (and now we have KDEDIRS for more levels...) :-)

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer