List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RE: kded excluding dirs?
From:       "David Faure" <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-02 11:38:55

> On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 09:12:25AM -0000, David Faure wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > No, that's not how kded/ksycoca has been designed.
> > (If you want to do add/update/... you either need to keep things in
kded's
> > memory, which we don't want, and you can't just append something to the
file since
> > all indexes have to be updated).
>
> Yes, that's what I meant - update the entire ksycoca, but don't
> read everything again. If this means updating of all indices, well
> it's probably still faster than rereading all the desktop-files
> again.

I see your point but it doesn't work in some cases.
Imagine you delete a local mimetype.
Then you want the global one instead, which is not in the ksycoca file
(because it has been superseded by the local one instead).
So kded needs to reparse the global files.
And I think the complexity wouldn't be worth the gain anyway.
For instance, whenever you start an app, it will look for a bunch of icons
on the NFS server, and a lot of other files (config, ...).
How often do you install a new mimetype compared to how often you start a
new app ?
If something has to be optimized to reduce the use of the NFS server, it's
for sure not what happens when a local mimetype/applnk is changed.

> > I think the best solution is to have an option "only scan user's dirs"
> > that does what it says : only adds user's dirs to KDirWatch, not global
> > dirs,
> > but when the ksycoca file is recreated, it will recreate the whole file,
> > reading the files on the global dir as well.
>
> Yes, and maybe an option to change the 1s-timer of KDirWatch?

The option exists in KDirWatch, but do you really want to explain how
kded/ksycoca works
to the users, in a dialog box ?

> > The only case where this breaks is if admins decide to change a global
file,
> > but that's where the compromise is.
>
> Sure, this is acceptable, IHMO.
>
> > OTOH since kded runs on startup, every one will get the new settings
> > on the next logon.
>
> Yup.

Ok, looks like something to do then.
Although the problem of labelling the option correctly happens even there :
Checkbox (on by default) labelled
"Monitor global directories for changes in .desktop files" ?
Hugh.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer