List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: User installed apps, Was: kded excluding dirs?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-12-02 12:28:19

weis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> lets try again:
>
> At university our students can not install apps since they are not
> root. So they can install only in their home directories.
> People reported to me that they can not install the RPM
> packages in their home dirs. Is there any way?
>
> And further more: Can we set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to contain
> $HOME/.kde/libs ? Distributors should in addition
> add $HOME/.kde/bin to $PATH, or we do that in startkde.
No, don't use $HOME/.kde - that is for written files. You can
install into any file. You won't have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
with anything compiled out of KDE's configure :)
And when you can install software, you surely can also extend
PATH :)

> And (related to ksycoca) if two services of the same name and the
> same servicetype exists. One of the user and one in the global
> environment. In this case it would IMHO be a good idea to perfer
> the service the user has installed himself. How does KSyCoCa handle
> this ?

KStandardDirs eliminates duplicates by default

Greetings, Stephan

--
When your memory goes, forget it!