List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       weis <weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de>
Date:       1999-10-01 10:21:47

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> >> No. Non-blocking IO is a problem because it forces you to
> >> write state machines in a very ugly and unnatural way.
> >
> >Blocking IO us VERY ugly for the user.
>
> Only if it blocks the whole application. If it blocks one
> thread, the user doesn't care.

When using threads at university I considered debugging a pain.
Perhaps it is gdb or it is inherently bad, I dont know.

I only saw few situations where threads are really a big help.
Doing blocking IO without blocking the GUI and
especially the BeOS approach are one of the few cases where
I saw that threads helped more than they caused trouble with
deadlocks, concurrency etc.

Bye
Torben