List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: A new framework for embedding ... without CORBA
From:       weis <weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de>
Date:       1999-10-01 10:18:02

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, weis wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > That's a great idea. Could that work?
> >
> > No. You would have to merge Qt and Gtk even handling and focus
> > handling will fuck you up :-(
>
> Still it's technically possible. But it would require some work on the GTK side
> (to support the qt_xembed protocol).

Yes, and the same on Java, Motif and Tk and ....
I mean one can almost hack everything, but getting embedding
across all toolkits to work in general seems hard to me.

BUT: We can still do that!
One could derive from the classes Part and View and cause them to
embed a Gtk or Bonoboo widget or whatever. Using Canossa means
just that the framework itself does not provide toolkit/language
interoperability by itself.

If at any time (and I dont believe so) GTK and Qt support the same
hacks for passing the focus around etc., then we can still write
adapters for the canossa framework to be able to embed GTK widgets.
Canossa just does not put this complexity in the framework which
is IMHO a good thing(tm).

Bye
Torben