Hi, On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Bernd Gehrmann wrote: > On Thu, 30 Sep 1999 Martin Konold wrote: > >On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Bernd Gehrmann wrote: > > > >> > Then do non blocking IO :-) Only async DNS is a problem ... > >> > >> No. Non-blocking IO is a problem because it forces you to > >> write state machines in a very ugly and unnatural way. > > > >Blocking IO us VERY ugly for the user. > > Only if it blocks the whole application. If it blocks one > thread, the user doesn't care. When using threads at university I considered debugging a pain. Perhaps it is gdb or it is inherently bad, I dont know. I only saw few situations where threads are really a big help. Doing blocking IO without blocking the GUI and especially the BeOS approach are one of the few cases where I saw that threads helped more than they caused trouble with deadlocks, concurrency etc. Bye Torben > Bernd. > >