List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Is there a way to stop crashing KPart::ComponentFactory::createInstanceFromQuery()
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-08 21:41:16

Hi,

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 08 March 2002 19:26, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > >
> > > Doing stricter version control, e.g. renaming lib/kde3/ to lib/kde3.1/
> > > so that kde3.0 apps don't dlopen kde3.1 modules.
> >
> > Why is it a problem when a kde3.0 app opens a kde 3.1 module?
>
> Well, the kde-3.1 module might want to call a kdelibs method that
> isn't available in kdelibs-3.0. The question is whether the linker
> will find e.g. kdecore-3.1 and load it for that module (err, duplicate
> symbols??),

Exactly.  An old app using a new module, linked against a new lib,
different from the old libs the app linked against, is going to break.
I'm not even really sure if a new app loading an old module works in all
cases.  If the module has the libpath hardcoded (not just the searchpath),
we end up with two copies of the lib in the process too.  Breaks again.
But that actually shouldn't happen.

Ciao,
Michael.