List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Is there a way to stop crashing KPart::ComponentFactory::createInstanceFromQuery() when...
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-03-08 21:21:34

On Friday 08 March 2002 19:26, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Friday 08 March 2002 05:00 am, David Faure wrote:
> > On Friday 08 March 2002 13:50, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > > I'm not sure what we can do about that...
> >
> > Doing stricter version control, e.g. renaming lib/kde3/ to lib/kde3.1/
> > so that kde3.0 apps don't dlopen kde3.1 modules.
>
> Why is it a problem when a kde3.0 app opens a kde 3.1 module?

Well, the kde-3.1 module might want to call a kdelibs method that isn't available
in kdelibs-3.0. The question is whether the linker will find e.g. kdecore-3.1 and load it
for that module (err, duplicate symbols??), or whether it will think that it has already
loaded kdecore for the app, in which case the module won't find the symbol it needs.
In both cases I don't see how it could work.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/