List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Is there a way to stop crashing KPart::ComponentFactory::createInstanceFromQuery() when...
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-03-08 21:50:11

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:21:34PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 08 March 2002 19:26, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > >
> > > Doing stricter version control, e.g. renaming lib/kde3/ to lib/kde3.1/
> > > so that kde3.0 apps don't dlopen kde3.1 modules.
> >
> > Why is it a problem when a kde3.0 app opens a kde 3.1 module?
>
> Well, the kde-3.1 module might want to call a kdelibs method that isn't available
> in kdelibs-3.0. The question is whether the linker will find e.g. kdecore-3.1 and load it
> for that module (err, duplicate symbols??), or whether it will think that it has already
> loaded kdecore for the app, in which case the module won't find the symbol it needs.
> In both cases I don't see how it could work.

Hang on; this solves only the 'I updated module X without updating kdelibs'
but not the other way around.

Is the dependency for kdelibs 3.1 for a kde[module]3.1 provided in most distros
not enough to ensure this problem does not occur?

So I don't see the problem.  But ignore me if I say stupid things :)