List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: "Autorun" mechanism in KDE
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () redhat ! de>
Date:       2002-01-17 1:55:33

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Andreas Pour wrote:

> > Most distributions today like Red Hat, Mandrake and SuSE (if I'm not
> > mistaken) are coming with the supermount feature enabled - which means as
> > soon as someone will put a CD in, it will be mounted, and it least with Red
> > Hat - when you put the Red Hat CD in - it will run Kpackage, and if it's
> > Audio CD - it will run KSCD.
>
> I think they use magicdev for that.

No, we're using autorun.
magicdev is used in gnome, autorun in kde.

> The problem with doing it in KDE is, the distros can easily undo it.
> For example, RedHat uses magicdev (I think), so what chance is there
> they will use the "KDE solution"?

Close to 100% while KDE is running, unless the "KDE solution" would be
broken (rather unlikely, seeing how little broken code KDE produces most
of the time).

> Since autofs/automount already do this, that actually seems to be the
> correct place to handle this issue.  That also has the advantage of not
> being desktop-specific.

True, but autofs/automount don't handle things like automatically
launching kscd if they detect an audio CD or kpackage if they're detecting
an install CD.
I'm not sure whether or not that "feature" is actually a good thing (think
of the possibilities for trojans), but people have come to expect it from
Windoze, and for a total newbie, it certainly makes sense to launch an
installer the moment they insert the CD (so they don't have to figure out
how to do it manually).

If we decide to do it, let's make it configurable...

LLaP
bero

--
This message is provided to you under the terms outlined at
http://www.bero.org/terms.html