List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Missing Oxygen icons (for Okular)
From:       Jakob Petsovits <jpetso () gmx ! at>
Date:       2008-05-12 21:18:09

On Monday, 12. May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I find that Okular also needs the other icons I listed on:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/icon-naming-spec/to-be-named
>
> 	zoom

As you already noticed (discussion in the other thread), I committed this one
as page-zoom.

> Then there are the icons I listed as:
>
> 	view-next
> 	view-previous

[snip]
> It is possible that it would be better to name the icons:
>
> 	go-next-view
> 	go-previous-view
>
> so that they would be part of a fallback tree.

go-next-[whatever] is indeed the scheme that I would prefer for this.
However, the next/previous action switches not between views but between
documents or any kind of content, just like the forward/back action does.
So I currently have two major problems (challenges?) with these icons:

a) Need to find an accurate suffix that indicates that it is used for
navigation in an ordered list, as opposed to history navigation
that go-next and go-previous are targeting.

b) There are already two sets of arrow icons in KDE: arrow-* and go-*.
The former are of course a misnomer, but I didn't manage to sort that out in
time for the 4.0 release. Those have traditionally been used for
next/previous on the one hand, and "move" on the other hand.
Different things really, deserving different icons.

With go-next-[whatever] for "order navigation", KDE would have three different
sets of arrow icons. Is that feasible or even a reasonable thing to do?
Should we expect 3rd party themers to come up with a three different ideas
of arrows, for three different purposes? Artists, what do you think?

(Remark: There might even be a fourth set for stuff like expand/contract, like
for Kate's search bar or the "More options / Less options" stuff in the
printer dialog, or Adept's package list. I don't know how many different
arrows can be healthy for an icon set.)

> I also noted that we don't have a "view-sidepanel" icon so Okular is
> using the wrong one.

That's right.