List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Missing Oxygen "view-fit-*" icons
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-05-12 21:32:26

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Monday, 12. May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I think that he missed what I said:
>>> These should be the icons for the KStandardActions:
>>>
>>>     FitToHeight
>>>     FitToWidth
>>>     FitToPage
>> {note that "FitToPage" doesn't seem like the best name, but we can't
>> change it now}
>>
>> and he thinks that they are for functions that fit a page to something.
>
> Er, well. I thought we were talking about Okular here, whereas for the general
> case we want generic zoom-fit-{width,height} that look like zoom-fit-best,
> i.e. a magnifier icon with arrows in it.

Doesn't matter.  Okular displays images (PNG, TIF JPG, etc) as well and
the same icons are going to be used for all types of files.

> Shouldn't pose a big problem to use the page icons for the standard actions
> (zoom-fit-height-page is also there already) until someone wants to draw the
> magnifier fit icons as well.

Actually, the magnifier icons are a usability issue.  They need to be
clearly visible at +/- 2/10s of an inch screen size.  Most importantly,
they need to be visible enough to tell which is which.  This is not the
case with the current:

	zoom-fit-best
	zoom-in
	zoom-original
	zoom-out

This needs further work.

> But that's medium low priority now, imho.

Actually not since we should decide on the icon names *now* since it
will be more difficult to change latter.

> Your favorite offender,
>   Jakob

Don't take arguments personally.  Arguing, perhaps debating is a better
word, is how things get decided -- it is how engineers make decisions.

--
JRT