List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Kdegames new CLOSED icons
From:       Kenneth Wimer <wimer () suse ! de>
Date:       2005-06-24 23:38:07

* Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf@free.fr> [Jun 24. 2005 22:35]:
> Hi,
> > I suggest that we try to straighten this mess out rather than making it
> > worse.  What to do is obvious.
>
> Yes! I don't know who is in charge for the icons and it seems nobody is.
> I would like to see James involved right now if there is nobody else to clean
> this mess. BEFORE KDE 3.5 please.
>
> This is insane to say that in kde 4 we'll have a new theme and until then,
> well, leave the mess! This sabotages every effort we (yes, as a developer, I
> made some efforts about icons) made in the KDE 3 series to get better icons.

Then why haven't you simply proposed a solution?

Until now nobody has taken over nor do I think that any one person can
or should. The idea of project leadership is not to solve every single
problem yourself but to choose when to act and when to allow a
democratic desicion to be reached. Most important issues are solved by
discussion. No, there will never be a time when 100% of the people are
happy. To be honest I would think that 70% would an amazing amount of
people to convince. But one or two dissenting voices do not have the
"say" no matter what, that is exactly what we should avoid.

Nobody has said that there will be a new default theme (at least nobobdy
who is working on this theme). It would be nice if that would be the
case in the end, after everyone is allowed to make there opinions. No one
person or party can decide such an issue. In the end it is a more a
matter of user acceptance than anything else.

Which brings me back to the issue at hand. The majority liked crystal and
the majority decided to use it as default. Everyone knew that there were
licensing problems and problems attaining the source code even though
several companies paid to have this work done (in addition to lots of
private time from everaldo, not to discredit him).

We do not have all SVGs for crystal. We have a lot and we have a lot of
AI files available too (although most of those are available as SVG in
the meantime).

The harm of replacing a few pixmaps (without any sources) with a few
pixmaps which fit much better to the style (without any sources) is in
my opinion minimal because of the age of the crystal theme. I think that
everyone agrees that one way or the other it is time to look for a new
theme for the future, whatever that theme may be (there are, of course
definite expectations from all sides). In any case the new theme should
be 100% LGPL with SVG and with, of course, the small icons as touched-up
pixmap only - oh no! no sources for those! Funny how our own arguments
don't hold up all the time.

Bye,
--
Kenneth Wimer