List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Kdegames new CLOSED icons
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-06-24 12:00:33

Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am totally dismayed. While we are discussing on this mailing list a licence
> issue with Everaldo new icons, a commit is done to use those icons for
> kdegames.
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=111953209913961&w=2

> This was agreed on IRC and the logic behind it is:
> " replacing crap closed icons with good closed icons"

And HiColor is now "crap"??

> I strongly disagree with that logic. We all know some icons currently have no
> svg source but I think the aim is to overcome that and to commit only icons
> with sources. If we carry on committing closed icons we will never be able to
> change that. I don't want those closed sources icons as we can have the whole
> Nuvola theme free with sources.
>
> Do people want to carry on adding close icons in KDE now? We need first to
> assess that. Then we need to think about an icon-roadmap for kde 3.5 and kde
> 4.
 >
> Please express your opinion on wether you want closed icons added now (what
> already is in is another matter and in my view urgent work sould be done to
> replace all closed icons before 3.5)

Clearly, we should have SVG files for as many icons as possible.  To me
this is simply obvious.  We have a lot of legacy icons without SVGs and
we will have to live with that problem, but with new ones we MUST have
SVGs unless they are derived from legacy icons with no SVG source.

I would be at a loss to understand why CrystalClear icons would be
committed as CrystalSVG.  IIUC, it is worse than that.  CrystalClear
icons have been committed as HiColor.  Was this authorized by KDE-Core?
  This is clearly a major decision.

I am more than just dismayed.  I am angry!  Who is this person and why
is he authorized to scramble the icons.

After some discussion I was going to write a proposal for HiColor, but
my roof is leaking and it rained so I was otherwise occupied. :-)  And,
now I find that the icon problems just keep getting worse.  I was going
to propose that [NEW] HiColor icons reside in KDEArtWork if there is a
corresponding icon in the current Default (now Crystal SVG) icon theme.

But this is useless if people keep installing non-HiColor icons as
HiColor (they will conflict).

It was my intention, after these issues were resolved, to make some new
HiColor icons.  Actually some of them are already in use on my system
but I don't have complete sets and I also need to make SVG files.  Now,
I wonder if I should bother to make any new HiColor icons for KDE.

Everaldo's new icons are nice.  Clearly better than CrystalSVG.
However, they are NOT CrystalSVG and should not be installed in place of
CrystalSVG.  I would suggest that with some slight modifications to the
"index.theme" file (I will make a patch if asked) and the removal of the
"kdm" directories that we should commit his new icons to KDEArtWork as a
new icon theme (Name=Crystal Clear) to be installed as: "crystalclear".

However, you are also correct that we need SVG files (AI files that will
open in Acrobat Reader would be acceptable -- you can make a PS file
with Acrobat Reader, convert it to EPS with GhostScript, open it in
Karbon and save as SVG [almost simple :-D]) and we need for him to
provide them.  When we get the SVG files, we can remove the 64x64 and
128x128 PNG files.  I do not think that we should use these icons for
anything other than a user selectable icon theme till we get the SVG
files in place.

--
JRT