List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] KDE/kdelibs/pics/hicolor
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-06-24 11:21:00

Danny Allen wrote:
> Firstly, you do not seem to grasp that hicolor is NOT an icon theme,

What I do not "grasp" is exactly what you mean when you say that HiColor
is not an icon theme.  HiColor is a set of icons that have certain
characteristics, is installed in a directory tree rooted with a
directory named "hicolor" subdirectory of the directory "icons" and it
has an "index.theme file which says: "Comment=Fallback icon theme".
Yes, it says "icon theme".

WELL DUH! You probably mean something when you say that it isn't an icon
theme, but to others it makes NO sense at all.  Are you familiar with a
concept called the "Duck Test"?

> but a fallback set. Any icons can be installed as hicolor, it is just
>  that convention says that these icons should be of a plain style.

Correct (well approximately).  Actually, the standard says "neutral".  I
would say 'generic'.  So, these new plain style, neutral, generic icons
should be installed as HiColor.  Where do you get the idea that they
should be installed as "kdeclassic"?

> So please understand that what used to be called hicolor (ie. the
> style of icon) is now kdeclassic. The "hicolor style" no longer
> exists as far as I am aware.

The HiColor style from KDE-2 was renamed KDEClassic.  Probably a big
mistake.  But you make my point that NEW HiColor icons are NOT KDEClassic.

> Secondly, hicolor icons do not belong in kdelibs.

This is a question which needs to be decided.  So, unless you have
appointed yourself the absolute ruler of KDE, I suggest that you do not
have the authority to make such a decision.  Was this discussed on
kde-core-devel when I wasn't looking?

> However, I concede that there needs to be crystal replacements for
> these before they are removed - so, I will move these icons back to
> kdelibs for the time being. However, I maintain that these icons
> should reside in kdeclassic, and not in kdelibs.

It appears that you fail to grasp that 'kdeclassic' & 'kdelibs' are not
members of the same set.

Having HiColor icons reside in KDEArtWork is acceptable.  Installing
_new_ HiColor icons as KDEClassic is not acceptable.  New HiColor icons
are NOT KDEClassic.  New MIME type icons is a gray area, but otherwise
only KDE-2 vintage icons are KDEClassic.

> Also, I will not be creating the kdeartwork/pics/hicolor directory,
> as it is unneccessary (6 icons does not constitute an icon theme, and
>  the traditional "hicolor" icons are now supposed to go to
> kdeclassic).

Do you have no sense of design.  It doesn't matter how many new (i.e.
NOT KDEClassic) HiColor icons there are.  They still need to be in the
correct directory and need to be installed as HiColor.  The reason to
put them is a separate directory is that is is much simpler to maintain
the Makefiles.  IAC, this new directory will be the correct home for all
new HiColor icons.  It should be created even if there was only ONE new
HiColor icon to be installed as "hicolor".  Note that there are other
NEW HiColor icons that need to be committed to this directory.  I'll
make a list.

> I am open to further consultation on this matter.

Yeah right :-|

Have you been appointed to take over my job?  Have you appointed
yourself to take over my job?  Who authorized you to start moving icons
around?

IAC, please try not to screw things up by making commits of icons
without thinking about what you are doing.

--
JRT

Motto: Design twice, implement once.