List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: [kde-artists] Kdegames new CLOSED icons
From:       Danny Allen <dannya40uk () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-06-24 15:29:49

On Friday 24 June 2005 13:00, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am totally dismayed. While we are discussing on this mailing list a
> > licence issue with Everaldo new icons, a commit is done to use those
> > icons for kdegames.
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=111953209913961&w=2
> >
> > This was agreed on IRC and the logic behind it is:
> > " replacing crap closed icons with good closed icons"
>
> And HiColor is now "crap"??

HiColor is "crap" when we are talking about the CrystalSVG theme - they
noticeably stick out.

> > I strongly disagree with that logic. We all know some icons currently
> > have no svg source but I think the aim is to overcome that and to commit
> > only icons with sources. If we carry on committing closed icons we will
> > never be able to change that. I don't want those closed sources icons as
> > we can have the whole Nuvola theme free with sources.
> >
> > Do people want to carry on adding close icons in KDE now? We need first
> > to assess that. Then we need to think about an icon-roadmap for kde 3.5
> > and kde 4.
> >
> > Please express your opinion on wether you want closed icons added now
> > (what already is in is another matter and in my view urgent work sould be
> > done to replace all closed icons before 3.5)
>
> Clearly, we should have SVG files for as many icons as possible.  To me
> this is simply obvious.  We have a lot of legacy icons without SVGs and
> we will have to live with that problem, but with new ones we MUST have
> SVGs unless they are derived from legacy icons with no SVG source.
>
> I would be at a loss to understand why CrystalClear icons would be
> committed as CrystalSVG.  IIUC, it is worse than that.  CrystalClear
> icons have been committed as HiColor.  Was this authorized by KDE-Core?
>   This is clearly a major decision.

The "crystal clear" not being crystal is highly subjective - they are no doubt
a certain evolution of the style, but they are much more "crystal" than the
hicolor icons that currently masquerade as CrystalSVG icons.

Again - you don't appreciate the HiColor issue and the reason why *app* icons
are installed as hicolor. This is *not* about hicolor as a style of icon, but
about hicolor as a fallback iconset. The *app* icons need to be installed as
hicolor so that the gnome menu can find them!

> I am more than just dismayed.  I am angry!  Who is this person and why
> is he authorized to scramble the icons.

Who is "scrambling icons"? I am attempting to restore sanity to the current
situation, where we have a mixture of hicolor/kdeclassic icons in with the
CrystalSVG theme.

> After some discussion I was going to write a proposal for HiColor, but
> my roof is leaking and it rained so I was otherwise occupied. :-)  And,
> now I find that the icon problems just keep getting worse.  I was going
> to propose that [NEW] HiColor icons reside in KDEArtWork if there is a
> corresponding icon in the current Default (now Crystal SVG) icon theme.
>
> But this is useless if people keep installing non-HiColor icons as
> HiColor (they will conflict).
>
> It was my intention, after these issues were resolved, to make some new
> HiColor icons.  Actually some of them are already in use on my system
> but I don't have complete sets and I also need to make SVG files.  Now,
> I wonder if I should bother to make any new HiColor icons for KDE.
>
> Everaldo's new icons are nice.  Clearly better than CrystalSVG.
> However, they are NOT CrystalSVG and should not be installed in place of
> CrystalSVG.  I would suggest that with some slight modifications to the
> "index.theme" file (I will make a patch if asked) and the removal of the
> "kdm" directories that we should commit his new icons to KDEArtWork as a
> new icon theme (Name=Crystal Clear) to be installed as: "crystalclear".

We have enough iconthemes in SVN already, in my opinion - we don't need
anymore incomplete iconthemes in SVN. I am surprised that you request this,
because (as everyone keeps pointing out) there is no sources (at this present
time) to the crystal clear icons!

> However, you are also correct that we need SVG files (AI files that will
> open in Acrobat Reader would be acceptable -- you can make a PS file
> with Acrobat Reader, convert it to EPS with GhostScript, open it in
> Karbon and save as SVG [almost simple :-D]) and we need for him to
> provide them.  When we get the SVG files, we can remove the 64x64 and
> 128x128 PNG files.  I do not think that we should use these icons for
> anything other than a user selectable icon theme till we get the SVG
> files in place.

Danny