List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Clipboard
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2002-08-07 15:33:19

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 04:58:38PM +0200, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi everybody!
[snip]
> 1. Both actions "copy" and "cut" have in common the adding of something
> to the clipboard. Thus they both have an element that shows the adding:
> the moving paper. The difference is quite obvious shown: copy leaves the
> original, cut leaves an empty place.
[snip]
> 2. Look at the old copy symbol. The new paper moves to the left. But the
> clipboard symbol is usually at the right. Now I think it makes more
> sense if the cutted/copied paper moves in the direction of the clipboard
> symbol.
>
> 3. I placed one action to the right, the other to the left of the
> clipboard symbol. Maybe this placement makes it easier to associate the
> action also with the place.
[snip]

I won't comment too much on your new icons or placement, because I don't
really have much of an opinion on them. They seem like plausibly good ideas
(and the graphics look good), but I hardly ever use the toolbar buttons for
them anyway, so I'm not sure what's more convenient.

> 4. The kicker applet "klipper" is nice, but ouf of my work flow. Why not
> offer the whole usable klipper content via an additional dropdown menu
> on long button click, like with the navigation buttons of konqueror?

I agree completely! I've been telling myself for a *long* time that I would
implement that when I got good enough. I'm still not good enough :/ But I
also had the idea to use a "hold down the button" type thing (does that have
a more proper name in UI terms?) Unfortunately, though, lately I've grown
rather sick of the Konqueror and Konsole "hold down the button" menus; I'd
much rather be able to use a right click instead, or a separate clickable
area like in Windows (and I think Mozilla?)

So my idea lately has been to have the klipper menu be a submenu of the
standard right-click menu for text fields. I haven't investigated how
feasible that would be, though. It might be a little troublesome because the
user would have to be *running* klipper for it to appear, and I'm not sure
how flexible KDE's menus are about inserting other running programs in
themselves.

> 5. I am not sure about this: Wouldn't it make more sense if the
> clipboard is not greyed out if no content is available but shows the
> status by an empty clipboard? The clipboard could be greyed out if
> inserting is not possible, like in readonly mode.

I don't really agree. Grayness suggests much more strongly to me that an
action cannot be done.

> PS: And would be more eyecandy than usability: When copying and
> inserting via the clipboard the movement of the data is visualized by a
> flow to and off the clipboard from and to the actual placement in the
> document view... like the window movements to and from the taskbar when
> hiding/unhiding  :)

I like it :) It could move off to wherever klipper is.

--
Furrfu!		r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t