List:       kde-artists
Subject:    K-ARTIST:New Kmail icons and usability
From:       antialias <vukman () mail ! dk>
Date:       2002-08-07 8:18:31

Hi kde artists,

I can see Connectiva icon theme (everaldo & tackat) will be default kde 3.1
icon theme (I've just compiled the most recent snapshots). Because of that,
and only because of that, I want to comment some of the icons from the
usability point of view.
As an ordinary kde user I think design of the new Kmail toolbar icons is not
good:

1. I get confused when I want to use any of these icons: check mail in, reply,
take an extra look to click on the right icon. The old default Kmail icons
were much better. Here is why (IMHO):

a) using perspective for small icons is not a good thing because you are
losing space

b) with added perspective a letter becomes smaller and then arrows have to be
smaller (otherwise the arrows would cover the letter)

c) small arrows are not visible enough especially when you insist on light
green/blue circles with white arrows inside

d) three elements for small icons are too much

e) the only thing I see is something white inside a green/blue circle

f) I am using 22x22 icon sizes for toolbars but even on 32x32 sizes light
green/blue circles don't look good

g) overall consistency: if you insist on adding perspective to letters then
add perspective to 'new message', 'delete' etc. icons too.

Have a nice day,

antialias