List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:kdelook????
From:       Gastner () t-online ! de (Joerg Gastner)
Date:       2002-06-25 17:12:06

Am Dienstag, 25. Juni 2002 11:12 schrieb Frank Karlitschek:

> Exactly. Please send me a mail if anyone has a better idea how to protect
> the site from bored script kids.
> I donīt line the idea to require login either.

There are problems which don't have a solution.  This seems to be one of them.

> > And what is more:  This is a form of censorship.
>
> Sorry, but this isnīt censorship.

Hmmm... I guess you are right about this one.  As soon as I vote bad on
something, I am a censor according to my definition.  :(  Sorry about that.

> A few month ago many people complained
> about the low content quality on KDE-Look.org (Holiday pictures, bad
> wallpapers, ... ) I donīt want to rate the content on my own. Neither do a
> like the concept of super editors or super users who are able to delete
> stuff. The community has to decide whats good an whats bad. So I introduced
> the 20% limit. Do you think it should be lower?

Yes.  It should be 0% in my opinion.  This way when I direct my browser to
kde-look.org, I have the default of 30% and see only the higher rated
content, but it would give me the opportunity to see what else is there and
vote good on something which in my opinion is being treated unfair.  The 20%
border is a one-way-street.  By making this a two-way-street you could take
quite some fun out of the game that those kids are playing.  And if it is no
more fun, then maybe they'll stop eventually.

I think that the "show only content with score above xx%" is a very good idea.
And the default value of 30% makes sense.  But I really would like to have
the opportunity to see the stuff that others rated "real bad".  What if they
were wrong?  Or if it were just a few votes right after the upload?  Getting
voted below 20% takes you out of the game.  If the rules say, that you can't
drop out of the game, then the people with a win-lose attitude may stop
playing...

> > You are right about that one.  That pisses me off too.  "Virtual Updates"
> > or whatever you may call it.  The best answer to that would be bad
> > comments about this behaviour...

> Do you have a idea how to prevent this?

No idea but the obvious one, that bad comments about this kind of behaviour is
not appreciated.  I think the community-response will sooner or later take
care of this.  Nothing to worry about.

> Greetings
> Frank

Cheers
Joerg

P.S.:  And by the way, thanks for kde-look.org.  It is one of 4 sites I try to
visit daily (the others being kde.org,  dilbert.com and heise.de).  I am
grateful for your work.  And could you please answer one question that I have
had for months?  What program did you use to create the wireframe model in
the kde-look-logo?