List:       kde
Subject:    Re: No suggestion [was Re: kde suggestion]
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       1999-11-18 12:00:50

"Seak, Teng-Fong" wrote:

> patrick wrote:
>
> > Unless I am just totally missing something...or blind, I
> > would like to suggest that the kde editors, either or
> > both kedit and the advanced editor, be given the ability
> > to select the page layout for printing AND have the
> > option of printing to file.
> >

> > patrick
>
>      Patrick, sorry to tell you that no need to suggest because we DON'T
> have the right to do so.  If you follow the other threads, Mosfet, Roberto,
> Albert and those in their side have already said that KDE is a gift, and
> it's up to the programmers to decide what should be done and what
> shouldn't.  They spent their own time so they have all the right to do what
> please them.  It's unbelievable that we (like you and I) are here to tell
> what they should do in their spare time.

This is exactly right and there is no need for sarcasm here IMHO.  Most
programmers, and AFAIK all the programmers you mention above, really appreciate
feedback and suggestions on how to improve their program.  However, nobody
likes to be told "I think your project inherently sucks and should stop
existing".  In addition, since the programmers are doing things for free and as
a gift, it is nice if you politely make a suggestion, rather than make demands
or tell people their stuff sucks.   This is just obvious social skills.

Put yourselves in the developer's shoes.  Essentially, for most developers, it
is a hobby they share with others.  Imagine how you would feel if people on a
public mailing list started saying your hobby sucks and demanding that you
change it.  How receptive would you be to that?  Well, I would not be so happy,
and I think this reaction is what you see in the other thread.

The beautiful thing about open source is, if you don't like how KDE is, you can
change it.  You can distribute a version of your favorite distribution sans
kdvi, if such is your pleasure.  Often to such a statement comes the reply,
"But I don't want to do any work".  Such a reply does not deserve to see the
light of day.  In the spirit of open source development, you can contribute or
you can suggest, but you cannot demand.

Regards,

Andreas