List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Thoughts of a KDE sceptic
From:       "Seak, Teng-Fong" <seak.teng-fong () iname ! com>
Date:       1999-11-18 10:32:15

Mosfet wrote:

> I care because I am stuck getting all this email about what people think
> other people should be developing in their free time for fun.

     I don't know how you interpret the word "should" in your sentence.  Anyway.  All
what I wrote are suggestions, advices and wishes.  They are _not_ orders.  If the
programmers (are you one of them, by the way?) don't like to listen to such
suggestions or they think it doesn't worth considering it, it's ok because I just say
once and for all.  But according to reactions from others, it's just like that we
don't have the right to express our opinion.  Where is the "freedom of speech" then?

> This list
> has become almost completely noise and has degenerated into almost
> nothing but whining. People bitching about toolkits and licensing that
> should be on kde-licensing, people talking about UI issues that should
> be on kde-look, people whining about free software that was developed...
> I can't believe the gall you people have to waste my time and other
> developers time by long threads about what you believe they should be
> working on in their spare time. Unbelievable.

     If you think your time is wasted, you've got the whole liberty not to care.  That
was the point of my previous post in the thread.  Mailing-list are created for people
helping people but as well as giving a place for discussion.  If you think that the
discussion isn't relevant to the mailing-list, very well, tell us to change the list,
but not nobody has the right to forbid others to discuss or to tell them to shut up.

> I personally have used Unix for ~10 years now (since I was a teenager
> and long before Linux existed) and the widget set and style of Xaw apps
> blows. I am glad there are KDE versions, and I recently made both KDvi
> and KGhostView be able to browse documents transparently over the
> internet in less than one day, something unthinkable with their Xaw
> equivalents.

     It's sure that Xaw isn't pleasing, I agree with you, but that only the
interface.  Don't forget that a programme consists of two parts: kernel and
interface.  What I was trying (very hard) to say is that while the interface is
improved tremendously, the kernel is in some way degraded (lack of functionality,
increase of instability, etc).  But this is avoidable: take an existent project
(kernel and interface) and improve its interface.  That's my point.

     Tell me why few years ago, there was a lot of people attracted to Linux and left
Win95 before Linux has got all the beautiful WM, environment?  It was the stability of
Linux the point of attraction, not the interface.

     On the other hand, it's sure that all K programmes have some features that the
original versions don't have.  But don't forget that while we're having "this", we're
also losing "that" simply because of divergence between K and original versions.

> If you don't like it fine, but where do you get off telling
> people what they should and should not code? Again, unbelievable the
> nerve some people have.

     Same argument could be applied to you: how could you justify your telling us what
to suggest and what not to suggest??  You're as unbelievable as we're.