List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Thoughts of a KDE sceptic
From:       p_george <p_george () club-internet ! fr>
Date:       1999-11-19 9:14:36

Mosfet wrote:

> KDvi and KGhostView was written because someone wanted to write it. That
> simple. Quit bitching at people who decided to provide you with more
> free software than you would have had otherwise. You are not these
> people's manager and I doubt they really care about your opinion on what
> they should or should not code.

Right. Freedom is freedom. but when you start writing an application for
Linux, and if you publish it, you are responsible of it : if you start
working on a new application and give up after a few months, people will
have wasted their time and disk space following it and beginning relying
on it. The problem with free software it that we need to cover all
software domains, with state of the art application : not to have dozens
of tetris, breakouts and pdf/ps readers.

If Gnome had not existed, all potential developers would have gone to
KDE, and KDE 2 would be released now. Instead of that, Gnome will
reinvent the wheel and start their own office suite.

Of course it is fun to start its own project. But when I thought about
writing an UML tool for kdevelop, I joined kuml in order to be more
efficient, to have better chances to give a good tool to the communauty,
even if I had prefered to start coding on my own.