List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Unable to locate host?? HELP!!
From:       Ian Zepp <icszepp () islc ! net>
Date:       1999-10-25 22:17:26

On 25 Oct 1999, Robert wrote:

> I recently installed S.u.S.E. Linux 6.2 (with KDE 1.1.1). The installation
> went without problems but I'm unable to establish an internet connection. I
> thought that the problem was initially a KPPP problem but KPPP dials and it
> even connects without problems.
>
> When running S.u.S.E. 5.3 I never had a problem with KPPP or KMAIL. I'm still
> using the same modem.
>
> My flow control is set at CRTSCTS, Line Term. CR/LF, lock file is checked,
> authentication PAP.
>
> KPPP detects the modem, dials, and it logs onto the network.
>
> I have the SMTP and POP servers described correctly. KMAIL gives me a message
> stating that it cannot locate the POP host.
>
> Netscape gives me the same type of message plus it tells me that I should
> check the $SOCKS variable, and something to do with the domain name. It's like
> I have a successful connection KPPP but the browser and KMAIL do not recognize
> it.
>
> I'm new to Linux, I've always had CrappySoft Windows 96\5 until now that I
> totally formated my hard disk to install Linux/KDE. I really appreciate your
> help.
>
> Thanks

Some things to check. Can you browse the web, or does everything fail? If
so, check your routing using the "/sbin/route" command.

Since you are connecting it doesn't sound like an ISP problem. Since
netscape is giving you the famous SOCKS message, test your routing. I
suspect that the ppp connection is not setting a default route (or the
wrong default route) for some reason. As a last resort, try this after you
have connected.

# route del default
# route add default dev ppp0
or ppp1 or even ppp2

check it with:

# route

and then

# ping netscape.com

If that works, try connecting to your mail again.

On the other hand, since you can send email, this whole message might be
pointless.

:)
Regards

Ian