List:       kde
Subject:    Re: GNOME Desktop Project
From:       Keith Brown <kbrown () pdq ! net>
Date:       1997-09-10 21:26:26

John McNulty wrote:

> In the second case, I find it strange that your e-mail address
> should belong to the .sime.com domain, a German domain, but the
> "References:" line should contain the string..
>
>    <Pine.LNX.3.96.970818094809.12615C-100000@cascadia.a42.com>
>
> .where "cascadia.a42.com" belongs to the SSC organisation, who
> are somewhere in the good old U.S.A.  A considerable distance
> apart.  Why should this be in there?  Is this a spoof mail? a
> slip up?  A bluff?  A double bluff?
>
> Someone with more mail-header savvy than myself (or a good sendmail
> book) might be able to answer that question.
>
> If the latter is true, then who at SSC has it in for Bernd?

Look, I'm just a lurker right now, but at the risk of starting a tempest
in a teapot here, it is my understanding that some sending UMA's add the
message id of the message being replied to and then some receiving UMA's
use the "References:" header to thread mail, and I'm sure Netscape does
this, though I don't know what the applicable RFCs might say about it.
"Mario" was replying to a message from Jay Painter, who works for SSC at
Linux Journal, thus the reference to "cascadia.a42.com", if that really
is an SSC domain. I sincerely doubt Jay had anything to do with this,
and I also find it hard to believe that Mario himself could be so
foolish or devious, as the case may be, but hey, as we say here in the
"good old U.S.A.", opinions are like a**holes, everone has 'em. Best
thing to do is just ignore the whole thing (like I'm doing, right?)

I realize that's hard to do when someone may have been slandered, but to
spend time throwing accusations back and forth is probably going to do
more harm than good...

Keith Brown
kbrown@pdq.net