List:       kde
Subject:    Re: GNOME Desktop Project
From:       "John McNulty" <jm_uk () hotmail ! com>
Date:       1997-09-10 15:43:16

Dear Mario,

Either you are an extremely silly man and did not check what
address you were sending to, or the message below is a spoof
from someone else, trying to light a bonfire under your arse!

In the first instance, in case you hadn't guessed, you just
sent this mail to several hundred people currently subscribed
to the kde list.  Hardly what I'd call "private", and probably
guaranteed to piss Bernd off (and lots of his friends).

In the second case, I find it strange that your e-mail address
should belong to the .sime.com domain, a German domain, but the
"References:" line should contain the string..

   <Pine.LNX.3.96.970818094809.12615C-100000@cascadia.a42.com>

..where "cascadia.a42.com" belongs to the SSC organisation, who
are somewhere in the good old U.S.A.  A considerable distance
apart.  Why should this be in there?  Is this a spoof mail? a
slip up?  A bluff?  A double bluff?

Someone with more mail-header savvy than myself (or a good sendmail
book) might be able to answer that question.

If the latter is true, then who at SSC has it in for Bernd?

John

>Sender: mario@arctica.sime.com
>Date:	Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:09:40 +0200
>From:	Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@arctica.sime.com>
>To:	kde@fiwi02.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de
>Subject: Re: GNOME Desktop Project
>
>A few weeks ago you replied this to a mail from Bernd Johannes Wuebben.
>I've to say that you are right: Bernd's response seemed to be really
>rude. It seems he doesn't really want to publish his programs under
GPL.

>2 month ago I talked to BJW and told him I want to write a accounting
>feature for kppp - he agreed but said he doesn't want to have
co-authors
>on kppp. I agreed (mainly because I think PPP accounting is a very good
>thing - especially if you live in Europe where you've to pay for phone
>lines :-(. I wrote the accounting module for kppp and sent it to BJW.
>Then he removed my name from all source files (ok, he gave me credit in
>the "About" dialog. Interesting enough, he did'nt remove the credit
>lines from the files his brother wrote). I found that very annoying and
>that this is really bad attitude.
>
>However, I've seen that you're writing a dialer for GNOME. Maybe you
are
>interested in the accounting module from kppp. I think it would be a
>good idea to reuse it (because it uses a simple text file describing
>accounting rules, there are already some from Italy, Spain, Austria,
>Germany...).
>
>Best regards,
>        Mario Weilguni
>

>PS: please consider this to be private mail - I do not want to begin an
>email war with Bernd.
>
>Jay Painter wrote:
>>
>> > Yeah, clearly I am the bad guy, having spent all that sweat and
blood to
>> > produce thousands of lines of code for everyone to use and enjoy.
>> > KDE was the project to show the Linux world that there is hope. How
>> > about talking to us rather than fighting us?
>>
>> Ok, enough of this crap.  Bernd, when you contacted me in February
about
>> "donating" a program I wrote called EzPPP to the KDE project I
thought you
>> were a little rude.  I responded by saying that EzPPP was GPLed, and
you
>> could use it in KDE at any time.  I also requested that you wait for
me to
>> finish a release version, as I was still working on serious bugs at
the
>> time.  You immediately set off on kppp which still consists of about
70%
>> my code, and has some design problems in the serial communication.
Do I
>> care?  No, it's GPL'd.  I think it's a bit of a waste, but oh well...
KDE
>> has used other people's code at every chance, which is a GOOD thing.
Who