List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] How sending sound to a remote aRts server
From:       akar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-03-21 14:25:22

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 22:58, Lauri Watts wrote:

> KSCD is a little more problematic, it's not natively an aRts program (in
> fact, that's why there's normally a cable from your CD-Rom drive to your
> soundcard, CD's don't normally use the soundcard at all, they just borrow
> the speakers.)  You may be able to run it "artsdsp kscd" but I haven't
> tried it.  Noatun and "artsdsp xmms" definitely work perfectly.

That was good Laurie, you should write it into a Tip or mini-howto.
As to CD players,  If a CD player uses the digtal signal from the cdrom then
I would imagine arts would be able to transfer it over the network.
Alternatively, I think the audiocd/ slave *does* use the cd digitally but
even if it didn't I imagine you could use the slaves ability to do realtime
mp3 conversions as a means to play the cd over a network.

--
regards,

andrew