List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Konsole font question
From:       akar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-03-21 14:24:24

On Thursday 21 March 2002 06:55, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> ...and what I take from the two sites is that there are essentially no nice
> monospaced truetype fonts.  Courier is friggin' UGLY no matter where it
> comes from.  It looks like a typewriter.

This should only be a problem in pre kde2.1x but even then you could start
the konsoles without AA so that you had your full range of mono bitmap fonts
by using a little script that sets QT_XFT=0 first..

From 2.2 konsole had a switch on its command line to do the same and in kde3
with a late xfree it is not an issue.

Some versions of kde2.1 like Mandrake were patched (patch was also generally
available) that let konsole apps use the full range of fonts in AA mode so
you could use any non-mono TT or Type 1 that you had.

The problem with that of course is that only mono fonts will have lines
lining up correctly as in listings.

The other issue is that a lot of TT/Type 1 fonts even if you get mono ones
dont necessarily have line drawing characters in their glyph set so you still
cant use them with midnight-commander etc. properly.
So the best option is kde3/xfree4.2 where its no longer an issue.

--
regards,

andrew