List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] How sending sound to a remote aRts server
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-19 11:58:57

Tom Bevan wrote:

> How can I set up KDE so that the CD play et al will stream the sound to a
> remote aRts server?
>
> Tom

On the machine with the aRts server: (lets call it hostname "sound")

Make sure it's running, and working, before you start any of this.
In KControl, turn on "Exchange reference information over X11" (I'm
paraphrasing, I just broke my Kcontrol :)
While you're there, turn on Network transparency.

On the machine you are playing sound from: (lets call it hostname "nosound")

In KControl, turn on "Exchange reference information over X11"
Turn on Network transparency
Turn *OFF* "start arts at KDE startup"
Make sure you can resolve the name of the sound server.  You should be able
to type "ping sound" in a terminal, and get back the ip address.  Add it to
/etc/hosts if you need to.

What you should have now:
Arts running on the host "sound" and no arts running on machine "nosound",
and "nosound" knows how to reach "sound".

And that's about all.  You should be able to run noatun on "nosound" and
have the music appear out the speakers attached to "sound".

It's twitchy about the order, you need to be very sure arts is running on
"sound" first, or programs will just start up an arts server on "nosound".

KSCD is a little more problematic, it's not natively an aRts program (in
fact, that's why there's normally a cable from your CD-Rom drive to your
soundcard, CD's don't normally use the soundcard at all, they just borrow
the speakers.)  You may be able to run it "artsdsp kscd" but I haven't
tried it.  Noatun and "artsdsp xmms" definitely work perfectly.

If you have trouble:
do "more ~/.mcoprc" in a terminal, on both machinse. You should have a line
reading:
"GlobalComm=Arts::X11GlobalComm" (if it says Tmp instead of X11, change it,
but that's what the KControl settings above should done)  If you find
something is changing it back, set it read only.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts