List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Templates Help Requested
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-02-04 1:07:19

On Saturday 02 February 2008 8:06:58 pm Lorrie wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Yes I know it is a stupid question. I know documentation exists and I do
> use it  Hmm, did I check the docs?  Yes, I did. I must be blind. Can you
> give me a hint where in the docs and I swear I'll keep looking. I really do
> want to learn and will work for it.
>
> Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,
There is no such thing as a stupid question... Well maybe, but this isn't. It
looks like Andras answered many of your questions, but I went to the docs and
sure enought it's still there. In particular Andras mentioned the link type
template for PHP includes, but if you read the docs you'll see it also is for
images. It's called binary, on the properties page, but it's a misnomer. It's
a linking template. Unfortunately for this to work you must upload templates,
which was unintented. However you can create a symlink from your image
directory into templates and now your site image directory functions as a
template.

Site template is also one difficult to choose a name for as "tarball of
templates pages and directories" didn't seem so friendly... But that's what
it is.

As I said, we wanted to avoid proprientary designs so templates are basically
your file system with extra properties and Actions in Quanta. Compared to say
Dreamweaver templates Quanta's will work the same and easily share with any
editor, and of course the PHP include is a non proprietary way to accomplish
what Dreamweaver does hoping to lock in customers.

There aren't more extensive docs on this because there isn't anything really
that special being done. You will find some drag and drop, some context menus
and a carefully thought out way to facilitate making your file system more
useful. You can put any files you like in the template directory because it
is just that... a directory holding files you want to use as templates.

Note if you are in the user or project area it's possible to upload and
download shared templates with KStuff. I don't think most people even know
it's there as I'd like to think we'd have more templates online, but just
right click to see it.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module