List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Templates Help Requested
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-02-03 3:37:09

On Saturday 02 February 2008 11:26:49 am Lorrie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to learn how to use Quanta's templates but can't find enough
> information to do so. I really have checked this forum, other forums,
> Quanta and any other site that might be helpful.
>
> Would someone kindly direct me to a website with step by step instructions
> and a more in-depth explanation of the different template levels?
>
> I am having trouble just creating a template and I am not sure if it is me,
> the lack of isntructions or if Quanta is misbehaving. I am trying to create
> global templates and code for several websites that are all structured the
> same. The only difference between them is the content.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>

> Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,
I love this question. I have an answer... ready? Did you try pressing F1 or
selecting help and looking at the included docs? Yes we have them, and partly
because I got really tired of explaining it here over and over again. I will
tell you this... In a nutshell Quanta's templats are little more than
enhanced properties in the file system template directories and some
programming operations to make them convenient to use. There are several
basic types, but once you get past the idea of "mystical operations" and
think files and getting the information of various concptual types like
files, snippets and links to the editor you can pretty much start saying "of
course!" as you read the docs.

Now if you have a specific question once you're taken that all important step
to read the docs, then you can ask and myself or someone else can answer.

For "global" templates remember to Quanta your root file system is "global",
but to you your user is global re: your sites. So that is where to put them.

As for the slight differences... if you're feeling adventurous I'll toss you a
bone. We will be releasing an updated Kommander with Quanta in the 3.5.9
release of KDE within two weeks. Attached is a new script that will enable
you to use the filtering ability of scripts to make fields in your templates.
When you create a file with a template the filter steps in and presents a
dialog that will offer you text, integer, color and combobox lists based
entirely on what is in your special template tags... and you can use as many
tags as you want. I'm probably going to add files and possibly dates. It has
complete docs on how to install and use it included.

Just remember, if you want to use the attached dialog it will ONLY work with
an SVN checkout of kdewebdev at the moment, but will be packaged and
available in a few weeks. Any SVN users are welcome to feed back. You can
find out how to get and build SVN at
http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Getting_Started/Sources/Anonymous_SVN

Once more... THIS KOMMANDER DIALOG WILL NOT WORK UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING A 1.3
SVN PRERELEASE from around January 28 or so.

Remember, anything Quanta can't it empowers you to extend it to do.

--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module

["testmagic.html" (text/html)]

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<head>
  <title><[title]></title>
</head>
let's try a list...
<[list, combobox, red|green|blue]>
and now a <SPAN style="color:<[Choose Color,color]>">color</SPAN>...

and now choose a number
<[Intergers, spinbox, 10, 7]>

["TemplateMagic.kmdr" (application/x-kommander)]