List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Web Fonts
From:       Donald D Henson <wepin () wepin ! com>
Date:       2006-05-26 13:20:00

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 19:59 +0200, H. McManus wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2006 11:35:04 -0600
> Donald D Henson <wepin@wepin.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to use a specific font for a web site project. Basically, it's
> > Old English. The specific font name is Beckman. I seem to remember,
> > many moons ago, that there was a way to force a font to be temporarily
> > downloaded to the users machine so that font could be used while on
> > that page.
>
> Have a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html - search for
> the word "download" on that page and you'll dig up some info. It is
> CSS2, so browser support for the capability might not be the best.

Thanks for the link. It looks like the problem has at least been
identified and is being worked on. I agree, though, that the solution is
not yet ready for use in a "production" web site.

> Alternative is to type up your text using the font on your local
> machine and save that as a jpg and have the page load the jpg instead
> of text. Ugly, but sometimes the only option when specific fonts are
> needed.

This is probably the best solution for now. Thanks for the comments. And
my apologies to the rest of the list for this slightly OT post.

Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
West El Paso Information Network
The "Non-Initiation of Force Principle" Rules