List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Web Fonts
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2006-05-24 22:23:14

On Thursday 25 May 2006 03:35, Donald D Henson wrote:
> I need to use a specific font for a web site project.
> ...[CUT]...
> If not, does anyone have a suggested way to work around this problem?...
[CUT]...

There is no functional way of doing this...
Microsoft made up a method of doing this that worked with IE, and Netscape
worked on their own method, neither of which worked with each other.

You also came across copyright issues as most fonts are copyright with no or
limited distribution options.

There is no web standard to do this properly, and if you get it working in
with one browser, it will not work with others.

Using images is probably the best way to display text in a certain font,
however you would only do this for titles and menus, not for actual content,
and remember to put "alt" text on the images to make your site accessible.

Probably a bit off topic for the list, but it will save others time in not
searching for the wrong solution...
--
Andrew Lowe
    System Administrator & Programmer