List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Web Fonts
From:       "H. McManus" <h.mcmanus () invisiblepixels ! org>
Date:       2006-05-24 17:59:30

On Wed, 24 May 2006 11:35:04 -0600
Donald D Henson <wepin@wepin.com> wrote:

> I need to use a specific font for a web site project. Basically, it's
> Old English. The specific font name is Beckman. I seem to remember,
> many moons ago, that there was a way to force a font to be temporarily
> downloaded to the users machine so that font could be used while on
> that page.

Have a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html - search for
the word "download" on that page and you'll dig up some info. It is
CSS2, so browser support for the capability might not be the best.

Alternative is to type up your text using the font on your local
machine and save that as a jpg and have the page load the jpg instead
of text. Ugly, but sometimes the only option when specific fonts are
needed.

H.