List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] general question
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-06 9:05:50

On Monday 05 September 2005 5:29 pm, Chris Martin wrote:
> pbw wrote:
> > No prob, you can run any native kde apps while in the gnome environment.
> > ;)
>
> and vice versa, but be careful, Qunata may just make you switch. It did
> for me!

And you are by no means the only one. Several people have written this to me
and I'm sure others have done so without writing me. Both are fine desktops,
but there are things on KDE that, to my knowledge, are not yet available on
GNOME. Kommander makes good use of this in it's DCOP abilities and Quanta
does in it's KParts, as well as KIO being very nice. I very much like these
technologies and how they empower me as a user, not just a developer.

> > On Wednesday 31 August 2005 11:54 pm, John Dangler wrote:
> >>Thanks for the reply.  I've been looking forward to trying this out!
>
> Give it a GOOD try. I've been using Quanta for a couple years, and I
> still find things I had no idea were there. Since you're on gentoo, I
> assume you'll compile the latest version. Many distros come with older
> versions that just don't compare to the latest.

We are working on our KNewStuff servers too. So check the download context
menu in various resources. BTW I discussed several things with Andras that
will be added to our development version shortly, but I also said there were
other things we needed to do... Andras showed me several things in Quanta
that I remember wanting but did not know they were there. I'm not sure if I
said something to him or he just had the same idea. We do think alike. So if
the project lead can find things he didn't know where there expect to be
surprised. ;-)

--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org