List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs in OOo and compatibility issues
From:       Thorsten Zachmann <t.zachmann () zagge ! de>
Date:       2009-02-25 10:43:59

On Wednesday 25 February 2009, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 24. February 2009 20:17:57 jaham@gmx.net wrote:
> > My opinion is that we should stick to the spec and not copy buggy
> > behaviour of   OOo.  I mean we are implementing odf support and not copy
> > an application. That is probably more painful at the moment, but better
> > for the longterm future.
>
> There is a old adage for writing loading/saving code;
> "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send".
>
> This still holds; if we can make the actually existing ODP files readable
> and showing in KPresenter without loosing more than time, then we should.
> Just because, well, OOo is the only app that creates .odp files right now.
>
> So for Thorsten; do you have a problem with a good fix going into KOffice,
> or do you just not have the time to do it yourself?
> If you don't have time, please leave the bugreport open as a high priority
> bug.

the file is perfectly readable. The problem is that OO forgets to mark some of
the shapes as placeholders. There is no way to know if a shape should be a
placeholder or not. As stated before internal knowledge on how they find out
if it is a placeholder or not is needed to decide here.

I don't think we have the resources to work around the bugs we find in OO. And
for me this one is definitely not the most important one.

I for myself will not put any work into this. If anybody comes up with a nice
patch covering all corner cases I have no problem accepting it.

Thorsten