List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Bugs in OOo and compatibility issues
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-02-25 10:52:00

On Wednesday 25. February 2009 11:20:24 Jan Hambrecht wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > While it might be self satisfactory for us to inform the user that OOo is
> > buggy, I don't think the user will care.
>
> Then i fail to see how we would "put pressure" on OOo

As "the alternative" ODF implementation we can just tell OOo its a bug, and we
did.  I think this is all the pressure we can and should put on that.

I am convinced that this is something that the market will eventually decide.
If we keep on being consistently better at reading valid ODF documents then
the market will notice.
The main change since OOXML or .doc file formats is that ODF is an open
standard and there will be more and more generators of content. So its a
level playing field and OOo is going to quickly[1] become a non-monopoly
player in the grand scheme of things.

Note that this perspective doesn't take away my earlier argument that
currently all odp docs are created with OOo. ;)

1) quickly here is medium to long term, to be fair. Maybe 5 years. This is
already shorter than I dared hope before. When I talked with Boudewijn about
this topic 2 years ago my assessment was 10 years.
--
Thomas Zander