List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Close/Quit/Close all Views
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-08-23 14:25:18

please read

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/quitclose.html

For people who read this and feel differently about this subject. I must
say there is NO discussion. (That has been closed a LONG time ago)

At first I thought the things you say here are true. But then I realised
that the problem with ONLY a close is that people still think with applications
not documents. To accompany these people we have decided to let quit 'close the
window' as you are used to. So only thing you have to do is get used to using
^Q instead of ^W

People coming from windows and friends will be really grateful that close does
not close the document but allows them to keep working. (application style)
Other people use quit to accompany their SDI style of working.

It might not be the best personal solution, but is is by far the best compremise
of the whole issue.

> Hi!
>
> I don't know why this has been changed again, but we
> can't leave it as it is done now.
>
> IMHO there should be:
> 1) File -> Close *or* File -> Quit:
> This one should close one shell. If there is only one
> shell for the document the document is closed too.
>
> 2) View -> Close All Views:
> This one closes all views of a document - i.e. all the
> shells and the document.
>
> Right now File -> Quit leaves the user with a plain
> shell and doesn't even close the document (i.e. when
> more than one view is opened). This is irritating and
> useless! Why would anyone want to have a plain shell?

That is wierd.

> Regarding the "close the application" issue: According
> to our Style Guide the user shouldn't know wether his
> two windows are one process or two. Therefore it's not
> good to have something which quits the process.

It should work just like stated in the above URL allready.

> David? Waldo?

*grin*