List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: How should a filter deal with embedded objects?
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-08-23 13:02:45

Hi,

> > For example, if there is an Excel embedded in a Word, must they both be
>able
> > to set the documentinfo's title field? I would think not - this implies
>the
> > need for a subfilter to know whether it is the top level object. Only a
>top
> > level object should be able to set the documentinfo.
>
>This is no problem at all. Please tell me when you need it
>and I'll have a look.

Thanks. Actually, since I think we are all busy right now, and this is not
particularly critical, I will submit a patch with the infrastructure for
this, and then leave it for now in favour of fixes that might be of more
significance to users...

> > On the other hand, for linking to its child objects, any parent has to
>be
> > able to work out the kostore name of its children (one level below). I
>don't
> > yet know how best to do this. I think I should do a bit more reading of
> > code...
>
>Please have a look at OLEFilter::slotPart() -- you can register yourself
>there (and an internal URL gets created) and you can query for this URL.
>
>As I said - I never used it and I don't know if it works, but IIRC it
>should work.

...like this. It would be really cool if I could get embedding to work.
Hmmm, it means I'll have to actually start using all the character property
infrastructure I've been adding. I'll drop you a private line if I make
progress on this.

Shaheed