List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bikeshedding by a list veteran
From:       janne.ojaniemi () nbl ! fi
Date:       2006-03-15 7:51:59

> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 15:25, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> This is very unlikely, however true it is possible.

Oh, I'm not claiming that the user could come up with a solution that
answers every question and fixes all the issues. What he could do is to
form the groundwork, upon which the experts can build the detailed system.

> Should we do it just because Tog said
> we
> should? Thats silly.

Yes, it is ;). But the point is that if you ask 10 experts what should be
done, you would propably get 10 different answers. So how does the project
choose which experts to believe? Of course there are the experts that are
part of the project, and they have the ear of the developers. But what if
they are wrong?

> In reality, yeah it kind of does.  These guys put their life in to their
> software and arnt going to change it on some whim from a stranger.

But this begs the question: if some usability-expert (and not some random
user) makes a suggestion to a developer, and the developer doesn't
implement his suggestion, then doesn't that mean that we are then relying
the developers knowledge regarding usability, and not the experts?
Developers know code, they might not know a thing about usability. But
still, they are the final authority when it comes to usability.

> Who says some of us arnt experts?

I'm not saying that there are no experts here, far from it.

> We stay on topic and discuss usability issues in a competent manner.  That
> was
> always the goal of the list, it has just never been enforced.

How do you enforce something like that on an open mailing-list? forcibly
un-subscribing and banning people who posts pointless drivel (well,
"pointless drivel" is in the eye of the beholder)? I'm not taking a stand
whether that is a good or bad idea at this point.