List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bikeshedding by a list veteran
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-03-15 10:12:25

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 16:11, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
>>> On Tuesday 14 March 2006 20:48, Danil Dotsenko wrote:
>>> Well, there's the problem. Usability-problems usually involve the user
>>> interface. And making big changes to the UI in a minor-release in a big
>>> no-no.
>> I don't look at it that way.  For example, if a menu does not conform to
>> the standards, menus are not consistent with each other, have the wrong
>> icons or strings, or otherwise confuse the user, this should be
>> considered to be a bug and it should be fixed in a bug fix release.
>
> i think that's why he said "big changes" =)

Yes, but ... (tm).  That begs the question.  What is a big change. :-)

Is rearranging all of an apps menus so that they conform to the standard
a "big change".

My work on KView is here:

	http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/kview-3.6/

if we need a concrete example.  Note that as I said, the dox are not up
to date with what was released with 3.5 so it seem to me that we might
as well fix them which I will do if it will be released.

--
JRT